MapInfo is a GIS (Geographic Information System) desktop mapping software that can create a wide range of maps, from state shading maps to point maps, to customized region and line maps (such as counties), statistical market areas, telecom network lines and more.
Overview of Course:
Upon successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- What is MapInfo? — Not The Average Application
- Core Components
1. What is a Table? Overview of a Table's Files — .Tab, .Dat, .Map, .Id and .Ind
2. What is a Workspace?
3. File Organization Using Template Folders
- Creating Points Maps
1. Methodology for Creating a Map: 8 Steps to Remember When Mapping
3. Create Points
4. Thematic Mapping
5. Cleaning up Data for Thematic Mapping
6. Labeling Points
- Creating Regions Maps
1. What is SQL?
2. Creating Simple Queries—Filtering US State Regions
3. Creating Two Part Queries—Filtering US County Regions
- Additional Practice Exercises
Potential learners should have a strong foundation with using Windows 7, Vista or XP in addition to using intermediate functions of Excel. Understanding the structures of databases and/or basic knowledge of a graphics applications such as PhotoShop or Gimp would be helpful but not required.